Burial Ground

Adjacent to the schoolhouse is the town's first burial ground, with stones ranging in date from 1708 to 1888 which provide an excellent overview of early New England gravestone styles and are useful in comparing gravestone art in Essex (then Chebacco Parish of Ipswich) to patterns found in other early New England towns. It is also a valuable genealogical resource and the Museum maintains an inventory detailing the names and epitaphs on all gravestones. The town's 19th century hearse house, on the cemetery grounds, is in is the care of the Museum and contains a carriage hearse and a sleigh hearse, both of which date from the middle nineteenth century.